"Dreams"

Hold fast to dreams/ For if dreams die/ Life is a broken-winged bird/ That cannot fly.// Hold fast to dreams/ For when dreams go/ Life is a barren field/ Frozen with snow. Langston Hughes

Monday, June 21, 2004

It was a beautiful morning today... It was all sunny and cool when I woke up.

I took Yee's Puma shoebox and put all those old letters that I received from friends in Taiwan, Germany, Japan, Belgium, Netherlands, etc. I remember how excited I would get when I saw them in the mailbox in the afternoon. It was always refreshing to read them. Each of them represents a mood of the day, a voice that I missed, and something that I dreamed. I put a lot of effort into writing those letters...a few each month, all over the place. I wrote to let my emotion out, to connect with my friends abroad, and maybe to find a part of me that got lost on the way here... Who knows... Memory does come back as I flip through those old envelopes, some of which are pretty funky. (I have cartoon styled Romeo & Juliet envelopes, froggy ones, kitty sitting in the dark ones, medicine capsule looking ones, etc.) I even kept a card that my dad got for my mom...haha...since Mom never bothers to keep this sort of things. I even have the little snowman postcard from kindergarten...

I found the purse that my grandma gave me when I was very young... It reminded me of her and the things that she did for me...

I looked straight into my chilhood stuffied pink rabbit's eyes and remember all those times when we played together... My aunt brought it to me from the US when I was 3 years old.

There were my stamp collections in stamp albums... I remember how my grandma would get all excited when I go back to Taiwan and hand me a bunch of stamps in those zip-locked medicine bags. I had a stamp fetish when I was in 5th grade because our homeroom teacher gave us these limited edition stamps in pretty albums if we do well on the exams.

Yee's 1st and favorite guitar broke today...the bridge cracked. I was watching him play after dinner tonight. Dad bought it 3 years ago in skeptism wondering if Yee would give it up in 3 months since it would hurt his fingers. He was wrong. Yee fell in love with it and learned how to play with a little book. He would find music somewhere online and play for the whole afternoon. Then, he would get all excited to show me the new piece of music that he learned. It is fun to watch him enjoying so much... It's his way to express himself--through music. It feels great to have a music telling your story as you play. Now, he's upstairs, probably still trying to fix the cracked bridge, but unsuccessful. That guitar means a lot to him...

Treasures are rediscovered everytime we try to move to a new place... Everything has a little history behind it... How can I give any of them up? I would be giving up a part of me if I do throw them away. I would be heartless if I do.

No comments: