"Dreams"

Hold fast to dreams/ For if dreams die/ Life is a broken-winged bird/ That cannot fly.// Hold fast to dreams/ For when dreams go/ Life is a barren field/ Frozen with snow. Langston Hughes

Monday, December 30, 2002

just 10 minutes ago, i was playing the piano... Great disappointment... sigh... Haven't played for so long that my skill had greatly regressed to 3.5 years ago.

J.S. Bach is my favorite composer, believe or not. Someone once told me that his music is not powerful like Beethovan's, but I disagreed. Can you really compare two composers from different time period? I don' t know, but I certainly think Bach's music can be as powerful as Beethovan's. Music is an art, and art is all about feelings. Bach's music is more about the harmony of the notes, just like in singing, you have saprano, alto, tenor, base, etc. When 3 or 4 different voices (melodies) join together, you've got something beautiful... It is absolutely amazing to hear such music playing... Another reason that I like his music so much is because I have the freedom to interpret the music by myself since he didn't put too much emphasis on the interpretation of his pieces, no forte marks, finger numbers, whatsoever. Sometimes, I can even choose where and when to play the different trills, or ornaments. So much flexibility for expression yet the rigidity is maintained, so much emotion is revealed yet more is reserved for you to feel, so much harmonies, so much power behind a short, small piece of music. I love him.

btw, i love debussy too... =) isn't his music magically dreamy and romantic? ah...i am in such a "romantic" mood right now...with the music running in the back of my head...music is definitely a good way to express one's feelings.

music, paintings, poetry ...3 of the same kind...

I should start learning to appreciate the art of poetry.

No comments: