Dream Deferred Langston Hughes
What happens to a dream deferred?
Does it dry up
like a raisin in the sun?
Or fester like a sore--
And then run?
Does it stink like rotten meat?
Or crust and sugar over--
like syrupy sweet?
Maybe it just sags
like a heavy load.
Or does it explode?
I like this poem. The similes and images stand out so vividly as if I can actually see, touch, and taste a deferred dream.
hmmm...I wonder what would happen to my deferred dreams. I always tell myself, "I'll pick them up when I have more time," but do I ever pick them up totally? Perhaps I did in some cases... Well, I think I am trying my best to do the most I can. I promised myself that while I am young I am going to experience different things. I said that I need to do volunteer work, join clubs, get involved in activities, study hard, enroll in classes that I really want to be in, go watch concerts/opera and shows, play the piano, go to museums, visit different places, sing, learn how to dance, make new friends, keep a journal, remember the good times, learn to be patient, find myself, appreciate all life forms, love nature... "I am going to study a bit of law just so I'll have the knowledge of how law relates to the medical world, environmental science so I'll be able to protect and save the beautiful world and all the living things, zoology so that I might be able to go to Africa and do a film series on the wild animals there, what about film classes? that'll help me to film the life of the African wild animals! Definitely take piano lessons so that I'll always be able to enjoy the sound of music, entertain myself, and drive away the moodiness! Anthropology and psychology! I want to travel the world, every town and village, even the deserted place like the Golbi Desert. I want to write a journal about my travels and tell people about other people and their lives. I want to know different people and different cultures. What are the other half of the population doing at very moment when in Michigan, USA, the wind is howling and the snow's falling like there is no end? I MUST learn a new language, probably Spanish, so that I'll be able to converse with them if my patients are Hispanic. They'd feel more comfortable coming to see me if I speak fluently. Is it possible to learn all the languages in the world? I should PA or volunteer at a lab so that I'll gain lab experience and be a mad scientist! I'll be able to learn so much more from lab experience. I should go visit the library more often and check out those classic and science fiction that I once loved to read when I was in Taiwan. I should read more science journals, too, so that I'll be on top of the advanced science discoveries.
Dreams...Is it ever possible to accomplish all those things? I want to know them all... I want to learn them all... I want all my dreams to come true... Is it possible? Will they just sit here in my head and rot away like what Langston Hughes said? Am I just wanting too much? Am I just too greedy? Will I ever be content with what I have in front of me? No. I am never content with anything... Isn't striving for perfection once my goal? Is it still so? If not, what happened to it? Did I just give it up by saying that I'll not achieve all of my goals? ARRRRRGH... Frustration. Anxiety. NO. I won't let my dreams rot away. Never. I shall try with all my power to achieve most of my dreams. I'll never let them dry, fester, rot, or explode.
No comments:
Post a Comment