this book for abnormal psychology is very intriguing. while reading it, i feel like i am getting to know more about my own self, and it does reenforce with the things that dad told me about during our various late night conversations...
"So when Sam asked me to believe that he had 'forgotten' the most important emotional event in his young life-- what he really meant was that if he proceeded any further down the avenue I had invited him along, the landmine would explode and he would be no more. Rather than this, he preferred to shut down his central thinking processor-- which he did." by Bob Johnson in Emotional Health (p.27).
It is part of the human defense system that everyone of us uses every day. I have always been fascinated by the way human thoughts run through the minds... Where does a thought generate from? How is a "thought" and/or "emotion" formed within our physical brain? How does the electrical signals turn into verbal? I wonder... So, back to the defense, apparently, Sam unconsciously didn't want others to find out about the "landmine" which is crucial to his reacion... Bob Johnson said that the landmine is "a no-man's land fenced off with aas robust a fencing as that individual can muster." This case reminded me of myself, not that I identify with the boy that much (only partially) but I identify with his mother... coz i did the same things she did to herself when she vented... terrifying actions... no wonder the boy is terrified by the action his mother did... this class is really interesting...
No comments:
Post a Comment