"Dreams"

Hold fast to dreams/ For if dreams die/ Life is a broken-winged bird/ That cannot fly.// Hold fast to dreams/ For when dreams go/ Life is a barren field/ Frozen with snow. Langston Hughes

Thursday, February 26, 2004

As usual, I turned on the weather channel before I venture into the cold, gray Michigan. It said this morning is foggy with temperature in the low 20s. I went out the front door and felt the humidity in the air... to my surprise, everything was covered in a silver blanket, the little branches of the tree, the grass, those cherry-like fruits on the trees, the parked cars in the parking lot... Occasionally, you feel the little cold feather like powder snow falling down, melting in front of your eyes at the instant of touching the warm breath that you breathe out. I took a closer look at the inanimate living things around me...the silver blanket glittered under the dim light that had penetrated the cloud and the fog. It was so still and so beautiful...

I stayed in the library until 1:50pm, ate lunch alone, and decided to take a walk under the shining sun. Have you noticed that the weather is usually really sunny and warm after a foggy morning? I took a hike from West Circle to the Business library... Birds were singing as if celebrating the early spring. People were walking around without their heavy coats, except me (ha...I was still wearing my Eskimo coat), and some people didn't even have light jackets on. I wonder if DC weather is as good as Michigan weather today. The river is getting defrosted...you can see water and some floating ice chunks... I wonder the fish are happy that they can finally see the blue sky above their heads. The birds must be, because they are composing the songs of the spring. The squirrels must be, because they are running up and down with their puffy tails sweeping cross the melting snow. They seemed to be busy doing whatever, and I was just as relaxed as I could be...letting myself be amazed by the mother nature that's changing in front of our eyes...

Spring is the best season of the year...

No comments: