"Dreams"

Hold fast to dreams/ For if dreams die/ Life is a broken-winged bird/ That cannot fly.// Hold fast to dreams/ For when dreams go/ Life is a barren field/ Frozen with snow. Langston Hughes

Saturday, August 14, 2004

Finished with the MCAT exam at 2:48pm, London time... not sure what to feel... I skipped a couple questions in biological section. we'll see the result in October... Maybe it will be better than all of my other practices.

So, tomorrow, I will be home. I can hardly wait to go home and see Mom and Yee... I wish I could stay home for more than 1 week, but unfortunately, I will have to leave next weekend. Next year doesn't sound too promising with all that course load. Maybe it won't be as bad as I think it would be. I need to be more optimistic about things now. MCAT is over, unless I did bad on this one and need to retake it in April. (finger crossed that I don't have to take it again.)

I would probably be able to write a book about what happened in London during the past 6 weeks, but I don't have the time to do it right now. I will probably do it once I get home...plus, I am hoping to finish FF9 from where I left it off by the end of this coming up week... I gotta finish that game, since I started it in the summer. I hope that Yee didn't finish it without me. That would be too bad.

so...hm...

I went to Oxford one day (Saturday) by myself, because most of the people had either gone there already or they were somewhere else in Europe that weekend. I took lots of pictures...including the Great Dining Hall in Christ College where the inspiration for Harry Potter's Great Hall came from. =). Exciting, isn't it? Another thing relevant to Harry Potter, I found Platform 9 and 3/4 in King's Cross. =). That was another exciting thing. One other day, Sue and I went to Buckingham Palace for a tour in the State Rooms because the Queen is not in the palace this month. Not quite sure where she is, but it is currently open to public. They had the manuscript by Felix Mendelssohn! Imagine the scene when he plays the royal piano in their music room! I wish I could be there and listen to him play. Our history professor also gave us a Jack the Ripper tour at night on Wednesday. We learned about the history of East London and the history during Jack the Ripper's time...and of course, the history of the pubs around. We actually went into 3 pubs in 3.5 hours, and Declan (professor) had drinks at each of the pubs. I was quite amazed that these British people are so used to alcohol beverages. I had a bottle of Smiroff with them...and a few gulps of wheat beer, which tasted a lot better than the regular beer. Where else did I go? I went to the National Gallery, Victoria and Albert, and British Museum on my own, but as a class, we went to the Museum of London, Science Museum, Florence Nightingale Museum, Imperial War Museum, the Gordon Museum (not sure if I spelled it right, but we saw a lot of abnormal organs there), the Surgical Theater, etc. I went to the Globe and watched Romeo and Juliet and Much Ado About Nothing. The second one was quite hilarious, and I was really impressed by the all women cast. Of course, I went to the Tower of London and the Parliament... I loved the Peter Pan statue in Hyde Park and the Queen Mary's rose garden in Regeant's Park... =). I took a lot of pictures of the variety of roses in that garden yesterday, and an NHS doctor actually talked to me about medical issues after taking a picture of me. Isn't that cool?

I got a total of 4 t-shirts, 3 packs of Aero mint bars, 2 packs of Aero chocolate bars, 3 packs of different digestive cookies (don't worry, they are normal cookies, and really have nothing to do with your bowl movements...hehe), a bunch of postcards, some tea, tea clothes, and a couple magnets. So, there... I will probably give those food away to friends and family... ooh, and I also bought 200 grams of fudge (brandy cherry and maple walnut). Yeah, can you tell that I am a food oriented person now?

hm...I took a lot of pictures... a lot. Sue has a bunch of pictures too...so we are going to share pictures when we get back. I can't wait to put my pictures on the computer and have them developed when I get back. Some of those pictures are really gorgeous...

Alrighty...I am going to get going now. going to take a walk back to the dorm...

No comments: