"Dreams"

Hold fast to dreams/ For if dreams die/ Life is a broken-winged bird/ That cannot fly.// Hold fast to dreams/ For when dreams go/ Life is a barren field/ Frozen with snow. Langston Hughes

Sunday, January 12, 2003

Friday- No Class.

What did I do on Friday? I had intended to wake up at 7:00AM, but I didn't get up until 7:45PM (because I was lazy...yeah right).

I went to the nursing home. It was such a good experience volunteering there and helping out the residence. Sometimes it is really hard for me to put my feelings into words because of my English ability and the way I am raised. I talked to one old residence whom I have befriended with for the last semester... Depressed, she was, she felt that nobody pays any attention to her any more, so I decided to chat with her for a while to make her happy. sigh... It pains me so much to see how much efforts she puts into pulling herself out from the wheel chair and tries to sit on the toilet seat or doing the reverse actions. Looking at her doing it, I felt helpless because I cannot help her (I tried to help her out once, but I didn't have enough strength to lift her up from the seat). I could just watch her arms that support her weight leaning on the counter of the basin, shaking violently. Watching her, I had the feeling of someone twisting my heart trying to dry it up. It was painful to watch.

I met a new residence who came from CA. She told me how she ended up in the nursing home and what she thinks about the place, etc etc. She's a sweetheart. During lunch, she sits by a blinded, speech impaired lady because she decided to befriend with the lady and make company. She taught me an important lesson, "Help others with good intentions. You help others because you want to, not because of their religions, not because of someone forces you to, nor because of any other reason. You'll learn a lot from these people whom you don't normally talk to by helping them out in the times of needs." Her words touched me. She gave me a kiss on the cheek when I left and asked if I could eat lunch with her next week.

Isn't it just amazing how these little things touch and reach to the inside of a person's hearts? I think it is these little events in the nursing home that make me want to be there every week and talk to them. These things give me to strength to continue what I am doing now.

I didn't go to CCF that night. It was a sudden decision that I made 30 minutes before going to CCF. sigh...I feel bad that I didn't go.

perhaps i should go to bed now. I am tired......

G'night to all who's reading it now.

No comments: