"Dreams"

Hold fast to dreams/ For if dreams die/ Life is a broken-winged bird/ That cannot fly.// Hold fast to dreams/ For when dreams go/ Life is a barren field/ Frozen with snow. Langston Hughes

Monday, January 20, 2003

oh dear, yesterday afternoon, i was not concentrated on my chemistry hw at ALL. I was watching figure skating and doing my hw at the same time. I think I consciously allowed myself to have as many things occupying my mind as possible. Anyhow, it worked.

Today is a very good day. I went to Morill Hall (the most spooky hall in the whole school) to drop off my English essay, the bank to deposit my check from work, Hubbard Hall for the MLK presentation/Mowbray Scholars meeting, and lab to extract proteins (hopefully my long CtBP) from the E.coli.

Lab was SO MUCH FUN. I cannot tell you how much I enjoyed it. Stacy taught me how to use the "sonicator" to break down the E.coli cell walls, the centrifuge to spin down the cell debris, the "vortex" to mix the stacking gel before adding Temed (something like that), etc. I also learned how to use the column to extract my protein, the UV spectroscope to measure the wavelength of the protein, and the indicator to test if there is protein present in the elution. It was amazing. I cannot believe how much I have learned in ONE SINGLE day.

Ah, and I met a Chinese grad student in the lab. I dunno... Next time, I should try to talk to him in Chinese, because it would be so much better to speak to a Chinese person in Chinese. I don't know why nowadays I speak English to Chinese people... Maybe I am getting used to speak English. Mr. C reminded me of the importance of keeping one's identity. I think he's right about that. It amazes me on how much he loves his country, and it makes me ashamed of myself that I don't really love Taiwan at all. (I love my family/friends and the fruits there, but that's about it...) Sigh... I don't know what's wrong with me, but I think I am just becoming one of those Chinese kids (whom I used to despise a lot) who knows how to speak Chinese but refuse to speak it. I think now I understand that perhaps they are not trying to refuse speaking it but that they are so used to speak in English instead of Chinese. I am not sure, but I am going to try to speak Chinese to Lai.

Goodnight to all. Wish everyone have a wonderful day!

No comments: