"Dreams"

Hold fast to dreams/ For if dreams die/ Life is a broken-winged bird/ That cannot fly.// Hold fast to dreams/ For when dreams go/ Life is a barren field/ Frozen with snow. Langston Hughes

Saturday, November 13, 2004

I have decided to contribute this particular post to the squirrels in MSU. yes.

Recently, I have been watching the squirrels that live on MSU campus. If you observe them carefully, you'll see that each of them has individuality, and they are distinctly different in appearance from one another. Some of them are puffy and hairy, others have very thin and flat fur.

There are many squirrels who live around the path behind Shaw. One of them is a very special squirrel, and you will notice that this particular one is very different from the rest of them. He/she is a disabled squirrel, not that he/she lacks one limb or anything, but you can tell that the tail looks like someone had chopped it short. The tail has this chestnut color with a reddish yellow trim around it, and the end is bushy like that of a broom instead of smooth and round. It amazes me on how this particular squirrel is able to survive. Originally, I thought that he/she must had been run over by a car or a bike, otherwise, how could you explain the tail? Isn't it amazing that how he/she survive the trauma? Then, I thought, if Bushy Tail had really been run over by a car, how could it survive from the massive blood loss? He would surely die from the injury. Perhaps it is a congenital genetic mutation... It must be that way. Somehow, somewhere in his DNA, there is a point mutation... For some unknown reason, he survived fetal development and childhood. Now, he's a grown adult squirrel enjoying his life. I wonder if there is a discrimination among squirrels against the disabled.

There is another squirrel by the business college that has a very pointy tail with a silverish trim. When he runs, the pointy tail traces a very smooth wavy silver line in the air. He's quite an artist, I have to say. His tail reminds me of the Chinese calligraphy pen that I had to learn to use when I was little.

After lunch today, there was a silver gray squirrel that was on the green trash can outside East McDonel... Perhaps he was hungry and searching for food... I wondered. They must store a lot of energy (fat...lol) for the cold winter every year... I wonder if he will find a piece of leftover burger in the trash can. Sometimes I am afraid that these squirrels will acquire cardiovascular diseases from eating all the human junk food instead of their natural nuts.

I have decided that I don't like black squirrels anymore... I used to be fascinated by them when I was a freshman in MSU. I suppose that was because I didn't see that many black ones in new york... I have realized that I am a person who like to look at beautiful things...(who doesn't)? Many black squirrels, I have noticed, have a really "rat-like" nozzle and face, while the silver and chestnut squirrels have these cute innocent round faces... They are SO adorable. I just want to have a stuffed squirrel...or even a wild squirrel for a pet so that I can give it a squeezing hug when I look at it. =).

ok... i'll write more about the squirrels next time.

No comments: