"Dreams"

Hold fast to dreams/ For if dreams die/ Life is a broken-winged bird/ That cannot fly.// Hold fast to dreams/ For when dreams go/ Life is a barren field/ Frozen with snow. Langston Hughes

Friday, June 29, 2007

To update you a bit on my life... Charlie came last weekend.

Ever since my last visit to him (Memorial Day's weekend, the end of May), he's been telling me that he's going to come and visit me in June. We decided on the weekend that's most convenient, the weekend of the 23 of June. He was going to arrive in the morning on June 23. We thought about the things I could do. As the day got closer, I got more excited about his arrival but at the same time began to wonder if we should really drive down to NY or to Boston or even to Montreal... Since he's not staying for long, driving to these places would make most of his stay with me on a car rather than actively doing things, such as walking around and enjoying ourselves in this beautiful weather.

I saw Luz in school on Friday afternoon, and told her that she should come by and drop her plant off, so she doesn't have to worry too much when she goes home for the summer. She told me that she'd come by on Friday night to do so.

As the night gets in, probably around 8 or 9pm, I got a text message from Charlie, saying that his flight got cancelled due to mechanical problem... Thinking to myself, "well, now he's definitely not going to get in tomorrow morning. We definitely shouldn't go anywhere but to stay in Vermont, maybe we'll just enjoy downtown Burlington and just enjoy the little town. He's probably not going to get in until Saturday night for sure..." I was disappointed that his stay will be even shorter... I almost wanted to ask him if he could wiggle his way around the airline and ask to change his return flight to a day later...

Soon after, Luz called to tell me that she's on her way to drop off the plant. As I worked on my power point presentation for the Saturday review, I heard her truck pulling in. I raised the blind to make sure it is really her car, and went out to open the door for her, not really sure if she needed help with her plant. Just as I walked out, something big jumped out at me and gave me a hug. Luz was just standing there watching (I think)...and I was completely confused. When I finally realized who hugged me, I saw Charlie. That made me even more confused... "I thought his flight got cancelled?! Why is he here now? How is he here now? Wasn't his flight tonight that got cancelled?" A train of questions went through my mind as I tried to solve the puzzle. I probably looked really confused and happy at the same time. It was so strange to me that he would be here a evening early... I was speechless, not sure what to believe...

So...that was the surprise he gave me... He came a day early...

A few hours later, I finally realized why I never got the itinerary that I requested from him! :)

hehe.

And that reminded me of another surprise he gave me when I was in AZ during Memorial Day's weekend...

We were supposed to go out and eat, and as I asked more about where we are going to eat, he told me, "it's not a fancy place... It's quite little, but cozy. I think you are going to like it." I thought about USB back in MSU, and thinking to myself... that wouldn't be a bad place...cozy, tiny... but the food would be good.

Then I realized where he was driving to... I saw some familiar landmarks around his place, and I asked, "oh, so this restaurant is close to where you live?" (by the way, that was my first time visiting his new place in Pheonix, so I didn't know where things were...)

"Yep, it is not too far away from home," he said...

Well... We pulled into his apartment complex, I asked him, "why? we are going home first? or are we eating at home?"

and of course... we did go home first, and I had a nice surprise meal all made by him! :)

how can i not love him for all the things he's done for me?

No comments: