so, before I talk about my NTU Hospital experience thus far...
this is the disclaimer,
what i am about to say only represents my personal opinion...and my view points can be very culturally biased despite the fact that i was born in Taiwan and lived here for 13 years...
i'll skip the emergency medicine part of my experience, since i have already wrote about it in my "reflective report." "truly candid" was the comment from my advisor
now, i am rotating through a field of medicine where most patients would never see the doctors face to face. from my very limited understanding of this group of doctors, they are those who sit in the dark room, facing computer images all day and all night long. their lives are in the dark, at least from my impression of them in the US.
well...first day of radiology started and nobody knew that i was supposed to be there. i felt like an ball being tossed from one person to the other, and finally they managed to find my advisor who again didn't really know that I was supposed to be there.
i've met some interesting attendings...
i find them to be quite paternalistic...even the female docs can be very scary... I wonder what it would be like to be their kids. It would be a nightmare! It was the first time in a long time when I felt like a 5 year old being scolded.
Some that I met seem to really dislike teaching, probably due to the fact that they have so much work to do and that they don't really have time to spare to teach students. For example, a mammography class was scheduled at 4:30pm, when we went in at 4:25pm, we were chased out of the reading room, "Why are you here early! It is not time for you to be here! I will call you when it's time!" So I learned not to go in until 4:30pm sharp. The next week comes along, and similar class by her was scheduled at 4:30pm again. The other students and I waited until 4:30pm, and she barged out, yelling, "It is 4:30pm! Why are you still standing outside! Don't you know that I don't have time to waste? If you want to be late, you might as well not come!" It's confusing, isn't it? I honestly don't know why she bothers to teach! They should get rid of her teaching privilege.
Another one asked questions sharply and those questions with multiple answers, except he is only looking for 1 single answer. Of course, when your answer doesn't match the 1 answer that he is looking for, you get yelled at, "how can you be a senior medical student and NOT know the answer! How can you be that stupid!" Yes... There I was. And after a few more tries with the similar remark from him, I decided that I was no longer going to speak or answer any of his questions. Regardless of what I say, even if they are correct, I was already stupid. So... Might as well not say anything. He was pissed! HA. SO BE IT!
Yes. that was a pretty evil way of getting back to him. THANKS for belittling me. and ONE day, I will know more than you! You should not be too arrogant even if you know a lot and is an expert in a field. That's what I learned.
No comments:
Post a Comment